Where did summer go?! Hey, Mother Nature! What’s happening? It has been a long week of gloomy cold weather. I’m not digging it. I was so excited for the summer and the beach friendly weather…but no. We got thrown for a loop and now I don’t know what to do! But…thankfully it’s not that big of a deal. I still had my sweatshirts within reach and not in storage yet. I’m just glad it’s not snowing.
I know I had posted that even in the heat I use my oven, well…now us New Yorker’s can use our ovens without worry and without sweating out our blowouts. At least for a few more days…so you can make this recipe.
Last weekend I hosted a healthified and simplified Italian dinner workshop with roasted artichokes (with a lemon yogurt dipping sauce), peach and strawberry sangria AND this ridiculously easy cauliflower crust pizza with spinach pesto. My students were stunned at how easy it was to make this recipe and how few ingredients were required. This is not a recipe that will break that bank and that’s FAB! And as an added bonus, you won’t even notice the cauliflower. It’s a great way to get the kiddos to eat veggies without realizing it. And I dig that.
I don’t need to go into my long list of benefits of cauliflower (check out my mashed cauliflower recipe for a healthy version of mashed taters) but there are plenty…add some pasture raised organic eggs and raw organic cheese and you have a loving dinner for two. I shared this pie with my students and it was plenty, light and there was no guilt or any bloat at the end. And that’s a winner!
MAKE THIS FOR DINNER TONIGHT! You won’t be disappointed!
Cauliflower Crust Pizza
Total time: 45-60 minutes including prep time
What You Need:
- 2 cups of cauliflower florets (shredded)
- 2 pasture raised organic eggs
- 1 cup organic mozzarella, shredded
- 2 tablespoons organic parmesan cheese, shredded
- Salt, pepper, garlic, red chili, oregano and basil (to taste)
- Toppings: spinach pesto and cheese, artichokes, spinach, your favorite tomato sauce, basil, buffalo mozzarella (if you haven’t tried…go to whole foods RIGHT NOW)
NOTE: Feel free to use a blend of cheeses to save money and get the kind that is already shredded to save time in the kitchen!
How You Make It:
- Shred cauliflower or pulse in a food processor until rice-like in texture. It will look like shredded cheese.
- Steam for about 10-15 minutes and drain well. Place in a dish towel or cheesecloth to remove all excess moisture. Squeeze it, and I mean squeeze it, really really well. This will ensure a great texture and crispy crust.
- In a bowl, gently combine eggs, cheese, cauliflower, and seasonings.
- Prepare a sheet pan with parchment paper (this will keep it from burning & sticking to your pan) and form a pizza crust with the cauliflower.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees. Remove from oven and top with your desired sauce and veggies and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Feel free to bake for longer if you want a crispier crust.
So…who’s making pizza for dinner?!
In case you didn’t know…I’m all for helping people establish a loving relationship with food, which is why I’m hosting a 7-week love affair with food program starting on June 29th. Snag the deets and sign up here. I hope to have the chance to guide you toward a loving, passionate and pleasurable relationship with your body and with the food you choose to nourish yourself with.
Peace, love and no beef!
One thought on ““No Way It’s that Easy” Cauliflower Crust Pizza”