OMG! It feels like summer. And I am THRILLED. Yup. I’m one of those weirdos who LOOOOOOOVES summer. The hotter the better. That just means I get to drink more water and be my camel like self, as Matt (my honey) calls me. Yea. I drink so much water (but no worries about depleting minerals…I’m good here ;)). Summer to me means more watermelon (if you follow my Instagram or FB, you will see I’m on a BIG watermelon kick), iced teas, COLD BREW COFFEE (can I get a HELL YEA) and more fruits and smoothies. Legit…summer is where it’s at!
And I’m on a roll with this gorgeous summer stuff because I’m also trying to cut back on using the oven. But there are some things I am all for turning the oven on for. And I would rather make homemade things than spend money on the unnecessary. Case-in-point…granola. Why on earth would you buy this?!!! I get it…it’s a time saver (not really…think about it for a sec) and sometimes people have a down pact method of making it. But I kid you not…when you realize how freaking easy it is…you won’t want to buy it anywhere else.
All of a sudden I decided to try peanut butter again. I had a horrible experience a couple years ago where I broke out in hives but for some reason almond butter and chocolate didn’t feel as divine as peanut butter and chocolate. This is when this delish granola was born. I made it over a week ago and shockingly I have leftovers. I actually packed it up to take with me to a wellness fair and had people sample this baby. The looks on their faces when they realized it was homemade and when they saw the recipes was absolutely priceless.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I am…I may need to turn the oven on in this heat to make it again. Running out is not an option!!
Freaking Amazing Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate Granola
Makes 4-5 cups of crunchy, mouthwatering granola
Total time: 20-30 minutes (including prep)
What you need boo:
- 2 cups rolled oats (old fashioned good stuff)
- 1 cup quinoa flakes
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds (or regular almonds, roughly chopped)
- 1/2 cup toasted unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup plain unsweetened organic peanut butter (this is IMPORTANT)
- 1/4 cup ghee (or grassfed butter)
- 3 tablespoons raw honey
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (or chunks)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
How You Make It:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a saucepan, melt ghee, honey and peanut butter. Set aside.
- Combine oats, almonds, quinoa, and coconut in a large bowl.
- Toss oat mixture with melted peanut butter.
- Spread granola mixture evenly on a sheet pan. Make sure to pat down to an even layer. This ensures crusty and evenly cooked, unburnt granola!!!
- Bake for 15 minutes but eyeball this baby so it doesn’t burn. At the halfway point, mix granola and turn sheet pan.
- Let granola cool for 20 minutes before you add the sexy chocolate.
- Toss with sea salt and store in airtight (preferably glass) containers. This will hold for up to a week if airtight. But I’m sure you won’t have it for that long 😉
Serve granola on top of a creamy smoothie, yogurt, nut milk or just nosh on it plain.
Btw…you get a powerhouse of protein, healthy saturated fat (ahem ghee is FAB for digestion, it’s a carrier for nutrients- get my recipe here), and the raw honey is a natural anti-histamine and helps alleviate allergies. Delicious AND good for you?!!! YAAS!
I hope you stay cool lovers!
Peace, love and no beef 😉
PS Did you know I actually teach people how to cook yummy dishes for themselves, loved ones and family members?! If you’re interested shoot me an email for a personal, loving and one-on-one cooking class with me! EMAIL firstname.lastname@example.org