I’m feeling on top of the world. I feel like I’ve been on cloud 9 for at least 4 weeks now (well…I’m kinda always on cloud 9…so maybe cloud 12?) because of the flow of wonderful things happening in my life. I started a new adventure as a farmers market manager here in the city for a few days a week, giving me plenty of time to focus on my health coaching and events. I’m back to a packed schedule with some other side projects and now I have a wedding to plan (teehee…well it’s next year so no stress over here).
I already knew this but whenever there is a series of hurdles or even doubts or fears that show up, I can feel the greatness bubbling underneath the surface. It’s the lotus waiting to emerge through the muck and sh*t. So instead of rushing the process, I surrender and watch as beautiful opportunities lay themselves at my feet (like my new market manager gig).
Okay so what does surrendering have to do with a BLT? Um. Everything. If I didn’t just release and let things flow, I wouldn’t have met some amazing farmers who helped co-created this yummy sammy. For reals.
This crunchy, tangy, luscious summertime sammy was amazeballs. Instead of that fake bacon crap in the vegetarian section, I made my own with tempeh. Soy isolate with blah blah ingredients? How about no. Get a pack of tempeh. It’s fermented (aka good for your gut). It’s versatile. It has great texture. Pair with a delightful herbed yogurt spread, plump tomatoes, butter lettuce, avocado and a toasted freshly baked roll. And boom. The easiest lunch or dinner. I kid you not.
I gave my fiance real bacon though…he’s not a tempeh person. It must be the crunch factor.
TBLTA [Tempeh Bacon Lettuce Tomato Avocado] Sammy
Serves 1 Hungry G
Total time: 15 minutes
What You Need:
- 1 roll/ciabatta roll (toasted with ghee or butter)
- 3-4 leaves of lettuce (washed and torn)
- 2 slices of fresh tomato
- 1/2 avocado, sliced (just be sure to remove the pit and skin)
- Herbed yogurt spread (1/2 cup yogurt, 1/4 cup roughly chopped mixed herbs-chives, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt)
- Tempeh bacon
- 1/2 package tempeh, sliced thinly length wise (I used Litelife)
- 1 tablespoon brown rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon shoyu/tamari
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon grade b maple syrup (or honey)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Sea salt, black pepper to taste
How You Make It:
- Prepare the marinade for the tempeh bacon and set aside to marinade for at least 10 minutes.
- Whisk together the ingredients for the yogurt spread and side aside until ready to use.
- Toast your ciabatta and once cooled slightly spread yogurt sauce on both sides of the bread.
- In a skillet, warm to medium-high heat. Place tempeh in skillet and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side or until golden.
- Assemble your beautiful TBLTA! Add lettuce to the bottom, then tomato, then tempeh then avocado.
How would you assemble your sammy?
Peace, love and no beef baby 😉