Holy cow…last week was such doozy. I don’t remember the last time I was horribly sick like I was last week. Fever, cough, mucus, all that soreness and muscle aches. The whole shebang. I had it. It sucked. I was out of commission and felt completely tortured. I have a confession to make. I don’t know what it means to take a break. I LOVE to work. Well, I love to cook, coach and share my wisdom and it’s not really work when you love it, right? But I am such a go, go, go person. Gotta do this, gotta do that. And my body said, “hey girl it’s time for a vacay.” Also known as “be on bed rest and do absolutely nothing and catch up with the Kardashians on the couch.”
Needless to say, after a week of bed rest I am back! I’m still coughing but I can function and that is absolutely freaking fabulous. I’m excited this week because I’m back to experimenting for…wait for it…the next cookbook. YES! The next cookbook. I have a few book ideas up my sleeve, but this book is priority right now. Maybe an ebook soon too but let’s see 😉 You’ll just have to stay tuned.
So yea, back to this new cookbook. I’m in the recipe testing process and a dear friend of mine, Dr. Lauren Laurino suggested I come up with a mashed potatoes recipe using cauliflower. Say what?! Yea. Basically, mashed cauliflower. It sounds really weird at first, but my man is such a meat and potatoes type man, I would rather him not eat so many potatoes with that steak. So how about some mashed cauliflower?! I couldn’t believe how easy and delicious it was. I’m in complete awe. I’m still working on the texture but I like my mashed potatoes with some chunks and not whipped. You are totally welcome to use a ricer (to get the creaminess) but I used a hand masher and it was hellagood.
And not only are you eating something super delicious you’re adding an anti-inflammatory, high in phytonutrient, vitamin C and B vitamin complex veggie to your dish. Yum, right?
Without further ado, here’s the recipe for you 😉
What You Need:
- 1 head of organic cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 3 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons of organic grass fed butter or vegan butter
- 1/4 cup organic yogurt (optional)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast or 1/4 cup of your favorite organic grated cheese (Monterey jack or pepper jack works well here)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil or oregano (I love basil on my mashed potatoes)
- Sea Salt, Black Pepper to taste
How You Make It:
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Toss in chopped cauliflower. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until cauliflower is soft enough to mash.
- Drain the cauliflower, removing all liquid and bring it back to the pot for mashing.
- Grab your masher of choice (whether it’s a cup, a fork, a ricer or a potato masher) and start mashing gently until desired texture is reached.
- Gently fold in the butter and yogurt (if you’re using the yogurt). Add in cheese of choice and season to your liking.
- Serve with veggies and choice of protein. This is amazing with marinated tempeh and if you have an omnivore in your life, serve it with their favorite grassfed steak. Boom. Amazing dinner.
Happy Eating Lovers!
Peace, love and no beef,
2 thoughts on “I Can’t Believe It’s Not Potatoes”