Is anyone else confused by this weather!? One day it feels like summer and no more than a couple days later it feels like the dead of winter. Well, I’ve got the perfect cure to the cold weather days…soup. Soup is back, back again…soup is back…tell a friend!
I worked a long day at the farmers market on Sunday and it was FREEZING. I was not prepared for the rapid change in weather. Even with those handy dandy hand and feet warmers, I could not feel my toes or fingers. The end of the work day called for a hot bowl of soup. But not just any soup. Something creamy, comforting and heart warming.
This is the absolute EASIEST cream of mushroom soup that actually has no cream in it. It’s actually vegan.
Yes. It’s all truth.
The secret ingredient (aside from REALLY good mushrooms)? Coconut milk. But it has to be really good quality coconut milk so that canned Goya coconut milk will not work here.
Trust me…if you want to warm up in a nourishing and decadent manner…invest in a can or two of Thai Kitchen Coconut Milk. It’s usually on sale at Whole Foods 2 for $4 or even get the Native Forest brand. It’s a close second 😉
Creamy Vegan Mushroom Soup
Serves 2 (or 1 hungry person- which was me when I made it)
Total Time: 30 minutes (SAY WHAT?!)
What You Need:
- 4 cups of oyster, chanterelle or shiitake mushrooms (please get good mushrooms- no cremini or button- you want flavor) roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil/grapeseed oil/olive oil/butter (vegan butter is great here)
- 1/2 cup onion, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
- 2 sprigs of thyme (keep the leaves on the stem)
- 2 cups of water (or 1 cup vegetable stock mixed with 1 cup water)
- 1/2 can full fat coconut milk
- Salt, pepper to taste
How You Make It:
- In a medium to large sized pot (over medium heat), heat oil of choice with onions and garlic. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Once your delicious onions start to soften, add the thyme. Stir to coat with your oil mixture. This will awaken the thyme powers!
- Add your roughly chopped mushroom mix.
- Mix and let soften for about 5 minutes.
- Add in water or stock and cover to cook for about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and take half your soup, place in blender and pulse until creamy.
- Pour pulsed (now creamy) soup back with the rest of the soup.
- Stir in the coconut milk and adjust your seasonings.
- Make sure it’s piping hot when you serve it. And keep a fuzzy blanky near by. You will want to take a nap afterward.
What is your favorite creamy soup?
Peace, love and no beef 😉