OMG! It feels like summer. And I am THRILLED. Yup. I’m one of those weirdos who LOOOOOOOVES summer. The hotter the better. That just means I get to drink more water and be my camel like self, as Matt (my honey) calls me. Yea. I drink so much water (but no worries about depleting minerals…I’m good here ;)). Summer to me means more watermelon (if you follow my Instagram or FB, you will see I’m on a BIG watermelon kick), iced teas, COLD BREW COFFEE (can I get a HELL YEA) and more fruits and smoothies. Legit…summer is where it’s at!
Okay I have a confession to make. I have NEVER made a tofu scramble in my life. It’s just a tad embarrassing even though I am a huge fan of the Nuevos Rancheros at Candle Cafe West (basically a vegan take on huevos rancheros with tempeh, tofu, jalapeno, salsa, tofu sour cream, potatoes and all that brunch goodness). So, I randomly had a craving for this delectable scramble and thankfully had a ton of sprouted tofu in my fridge that begged to be put to good use. I combined pinto beans, sprouted tofu, habañero hot sauce, fresh cilantro and more to concoct a really tasty brunch. If you don’t like tofu, trust me, this will change your mind or at least blow your mind. Without further ado, here you go!
What You Need:
- 1 15 oz can of pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 red onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, smashed and minced
- 1 block of organic sprouted tofu (extra firm), cubed (you will break it up into smaller pieces with your hands or fork before cooking)
- 1 vine ripened tomato, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup of your favorite salsa
- 1/2 cup of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Favorite hot sauce (I love Cholula’s Hot Sauce)
How You Make It:
- In a small bowl, combine salsa and cubed tofu. Crumble the tofu while mixing with salsa. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, add olive oil. Sauté bell pepper, onion and garlic until fragrant and slightly translucent. Season with sea salt and pepper.
- Add beans to the mixture and season with cumin and chilli powder.
- Toss in crumbled tofu and stir. Continue to cook for about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Garnish generously with cilantro and hot sauce.
Peace, love and NO beef!