OMG! It feels like summer. And I am THRILLED. Yup. I’m one of those weirdos who LOOOOOOOVES summer. The hotter the better. That just means I get to drink more water and be my camel like self, as Matt (my honey) calls me. Yea. I drink so much water (but no worries about depleting minerals…I’m good here ;)). Summer to me means more watermelon (if you follow my Instagram or FB, you will see I’m on a BIG watermelon kick), iced teas, COLD BREW COFFEE (can I get a HELL YEA) and more fruits and smoothies. Legit…summer is where it’s at!
Soak Yo’ Oats…Overnight
Oh the bitter chill of winter, how I do not like thee. I am not a fan of the kapha season. In other words: the winter. It’s cold, heavy, dull and damp. My fiery pitta self is not fond of this, not one bit. I just want to snuggle up in my warm cozy bed and dream about the summer. It also doesn’t help that I have been up working on my book until my eyes are drooping and exhausted. But I am truly having so much fun. It’s such a joy to finally give my gifts and passions the attention it deserves. 2015 is my year. And I am really really excited to share my book with all of you (stay tuned).
Get Sexy Probiotic Smoothie
I have the most sensitive stomach/gut. When my stomach is upset, the rest of my body feels it. I tend to break out, feel overly exhausted, grumpy or even just plain old fat and gross. Yes, I said but I know you feel me. One thing that always helps me feel balanced and ready to take on anything are some handy dandy probiotics. I’m talking about some sexy good bacteria to balance out the bacteria that already exists in your body.
Tofu Scramble with Flair
Okay I have a confession to make. I have NEVER made a tofu scramble in my life. It’s just a tad embarrassing even though I am a huge fan of the Nuevos Rancheros at Candle Cafe West (basically a vegan take on huevos rancheros with tempeh, tofu, jalapeno, salsa, tofu sour cream, potatoes and all that brunch goodness). So, I randomly had a craving for this delectable scramble and thankfully had a ton of sprouted tofu in my fridge that begged to be put to good use. I combined pinto beans, sprouted tofu, habañero hot sauce, fresh cilantro and more to concoct a really tasty brunch. If you don’t like tofu, trust me, this will change your mind or at least blow your mind. Without further ado, here you go!
What You Need:
- 1 15 oz can of pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 red onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, smashed and minced
- 1 block of organic sprouted tofu (extra firm), cubed (you will break it up into smaller pieces with your hands or fork before cooking)
- 1 vine ripened tomato, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup of your favorite salsa
- 1/2 cup of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Favorite hot sauce (I love Cholula’s Hot Sauce)
How You Make It:
- In a small bowl, combine salsa and cubed tofu. Crumble the tofu while mixing with salsa. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, add olive oil. Sauté bell pepper, onion and garlic until fragrant and slightly translucent. Season with sea salt and pepper.
- Add beans to the mixture and season with cumin and chilli powder.
- Toss in crumbled tofu and stir. Continue to cook for about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Garnish generously with cilantro and hot sauce.
Peace, love and NO beef!
Chocolate Chia Pudding
Need an instant mood boost? Make this super easy, Omega 3 and protein rich pudding that is sure to put a smile on your face. Simple, delicious and healthy, what more could you want in a sweet dish.
What You Need:
1/2 cup Organic Chia Seeds
2 cups Almond-Coconut Milk
3 teaspoons (or more if you like) of cocoa powder
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
Grade B Maple Syrup to taste (I put 1/4 of a cup)
Banana, sliced for serving (or any fruit you like)
How You Make It:
1. Combine chia, non-dairy milk, cocoa and cinnamon in a mason jar or container. Stir until combined. Sweeten with maple syrup if desired.
2. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours (or overnight for a thicker pudding like consistency).
3. Serve with fresh fruit and enjoy!
Enjoy this delicious pudding with someone you love.
Peace, love and no beef!
P.S. This is great for breakfast, snack or dessert.