Oh the bitter chill of winter, how I do not like thee. I am not a fan of the kapha season. In other words: the winter. It’s cold, heavy, dull and damp. My fiery pitta self is not fond of this, not one bit. I just want to snuggle up in my warm cozy bed and dream about the summer. It also doesn’t help that I have been up working on my book until my eyes are drooping and exhausted. But I am truly having so much fun. It’s such a joy to finally give my gifts and passions the attention it deserves. 2015 is my year. And I am really really excited to share my book with all of you (stay tuned).
For the most part I haven’t done too much experimenting aside from recreating dishes that are in my book. So I am really excited that I decided to do something different. OH SNAP lol For the first time I decided to make overnight oats. I love oatmeal and hot porridge for breakfast so I was not ready to commit to a cold breakfast. But this was warming on a different level. It was pure comfort AND EASY! Who doesn’t want an easier breakfast for those cold mornings? Raise your hand. We all want an easier breakfast that is healthy, healing and delicious. The best part about this dish is you soak overnight in a mason jar or large bowl and all you have to do is enjoy it with desired toppings in the morning. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.
What You Need:
- 1/3 cup steel cut oats
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/2-1 cup unsweetened almond milk (depends on the consistency you like, add more for a more creamy consistency)
- Toppings: Grade B maple syrup for sweetness, fresh berries, nuts, almond butter, cinnamon, coconut flakes, more chia (you name it, it works)
How You Make It:
- In a large bowl or mason jar (pint size) combine steel cut oats with chia and almond milk. Whisk and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Whisk once more and let sit overnight in the fridge.
- Stir before serving and add desired toppings.
- Enjoy with your favorite tea and a smile.
Stay warm lovers! And sip on soups and teas to keep the winter chill at bay.
Peace, love and no beef!