Summer is in full swing the moment you start to see peaches. Last year we suffered a bit over here in NYC. There were some Jersey peaches but New York State did not get blessed with the juiciness of peaches. It almost felt like it wasn’t quite summer but I didn’t really notice, I was in the midst of wedding planning. This summer I’m giddy and just full blown ecstatic about the arrival of peaches, plums and nectarines. And my friends, they are juicy and ready for your salads and salsas.
I haven’t really gotten creative in the kitchen lately. I’ve been fine with making similar things over and over – if it can be made into a taco I’m going to have it (Siete foods has an amazing Almond Flour tortilla, gluten free AND vegan). But the emergence of peaches inspires me to experiment a bit I’m trying to push the envelope with food combos.
Peach and corn are an awesome combo, same with peach and blueberry, peach and tomato even, but I really haven’t gone beyond until this amazing salad.
I kid you not my husband Matt practically inhaled this salad- I even got the happy grumble in between each bite (if that’s what we’re calling it). I’d call that WINNING!
This salad has everything the farmers market has to offer in the summer: heirloom tomatoes, blueberries, micro greens, fresh peaches, cucumbers, fresh sheeps milk feta. I, of course, add in a few extra things to make it a filling, nourishing salad.
So, what are you waiting for? Get off your butt, go to the farmers market and eat this salad for days and feel awesome!
Farmers Market Goddess Salad
Serves 2 (as a dinner sized portion), possibility for leftovers
What you need:
- 1 head of butterhead lettuce or whatever mild lettuce is in season (romaine works too), roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup micro greens or sprouts of choice
- 1 large heirloom tomato, diced
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1-2 large local peaches, cubed
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds or pumpkin seeds (unsalted not roasted)
- 1/2 cup cauliflower, cut into small bite sized florets
- 1/4 cup dried unsweetened tart cherries (or you can use pomegranates if they’re in season when you make this)
- 1-2 has avocados, cubed
- 1/4 cup fresh feta (optional, my husband is not a fan but I love it. So I only put it on mine)
- optional: 1 cup cooked quinoa (if you’re feeling lazy, you can get frozen quinoa, just defrost the amount you like in the fridge beforehand)
- dressing: green goddess dressing (try Primal Kitchen brand or check out this recipe from Thug Kitchen-it’s hilariously written and delicious)
How you make it:
- In a large bowl, pour desired amount of dressing. This makes sure your dressing is all up on all your salad.
- Combine all your ingredients and toss with dressing.
- Add a little freshly cracked pepper and salt if you desire but the feta should suffice if you add it.
- Enjoy and make happy grumbling noises.
What is your favorite summer salad????
Peace. Love. No beef.