Hellooooooo beautiful foodies!!!
I promise I haven’t fallen off the face of the Earth. To be completely honest with you, I’ve been eating the same effin shiznit for the last few weeks (rotating it of course and a few days of eating at my moms house and celebrating some birthdays, mine included). I also finished up my cleanse which seemed to take about 2-3 weeks. The preparation, the testing, the pre-cleanse and the post-cleanse.
So after all of this, I’m ready to get myself back in the kitchen.
We’re in this in-between place right now. It’s warm, the season is really kicking in and we’re getting some new sexy veggies in season. Asparagus anyone?!! And I can’t wait for the Strawberries. Those babies are coming soon. Like 2 weeks! YAAS!
As we are in limbo with the diff veggies coming into season,(and I’m tryna figure out what to make based off of seasonal availability) I’m sticking to the simple foods. This soup, basically the non-Indian way of explaining dahl, is one of those comforting and detoxifying recipes that’s easy to make and it really sticks to your ribs, keep you full and feeling sexy af.
What’s good about this recipe?
- It’s easy
- It’s FOODGASMIC (SOOOOOO GOOD)
- It tastes better over time (leftovers yo)
- Your poops will be glorious
Need I say more?!!
Detoxifying Red Lentil Dahl
Makes 4 servings
Total time: 30-40 minutes
What you need:
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil or ghee or grass-fed butter (THIS IS MUY IMPORTANTE)
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 3-6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger (optional)
- 1 small yukon gold potato, cubed (optional, you can add an entire sweet potato instead)
- 1/2 sweet potato, cubed
- 2-3 stalks of celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 1 14-ounce can unsweetened full fat coconut milk
- 2 cups red lentils, picked over (13 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro stems, plus chopped leaves for garnish
- 1/2 pound kale, stemmed and leaves coarsely chopped (4 cups)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, plus lemon wedges for serving
- Sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- Optional: 1 teaspoon mustard seeds and cumin seeds (toast in the beginning with turmeric & garam masala)
How You Make It:
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil. Add the turmeric and garam masala and cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of coconut oil. Add sweet potato, yukon gold potato (optional), the onions, celery and carrot and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic. Oh yes. It’s getting good.
- Add the veggie stock, red lentils and cilantro to the saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally until the lentils are tender, about 20 minutes. Add the kale and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the coconut milk, lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the dahl into bowls. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with lemon wedges.
I know your mouth is watering.
DEEEEEE-VINNNNNNE + DEEEEE-LISH!
Peace, love and NO beef 😉
One thought on “Detoxifying Red Lentil Dahl”
Thanks Guramrit. Happy Birthday Day (May 8th)!!☺😀😃🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person