Okay, okay I realize I have done a broccoli cheeze soup recipe on No Beef Here like 2 and a half years ago when I was doing the whole super duper vegan thing. In all honesty, I always think about how I can take recipes I’ve already made and make them WAY better and less complicated. Can you imagine a vegan recipe or even vegetarian recipe that doesn’t call for a sh*t ton of ingredients?! Jeez.
Simplicity is key.
I’ve made this broccoli + cauliflower soup at least two or three times in the last few weeks. From working outside in the frigid cold (in all honesty I’ve grown to appreciate my farmers, postal workers, sanitation workers, etc way more as a result) to my weird sleeping habits (Matt is on a different schedule, 4-12 a.m. yikes), my desires for soup has grown immensely. This recipe is a no nonsense, creamy, dunk garlic bread in it type recipe. Wait…there’s veggies up in here too. This makes it EVEN better 😉
And the leftovers…oh the leftovers. Deeeeeeelish.
Okay but fo reals, if you want the vegan version of this recipe knock yourself out 😉 Click here.
Creamy Broccoli + Cauliflower Soup
Makes 4-6 servings (depending on how hungry you are)
Total time: 30 minutes
What You Need:
- 2 cups of broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup cauliflower, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed (YES SMASHED) and minced woot
- 3 or 4 stalks of celery, chopped
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of chickpea flour or all purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons butter/coconut oil/ghee (go for ghee/butter, it’s better)
- 1 14 oz can of full fat coconut milk (or 1 11 oz container of culinary coconut milk)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup of cheese, cubed (try gouda, gruyere, pepper jack, or cheddar)
- 2 sprigs of thyme, remove from stem and roughly chop
- Salt, pepper to taste
How You Make It:
- In your handy dandy soup pot, warm 2 tablespoons of your buter or oil over medium heat. Add in your carrots, celery, onion and garlic. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Cook your mirepoix down until fragrant and transculent.
- Add in remainder of butter or oil and whisk in the flour. Continue to whisk until flour is cooked (it will be a toasty brown).
- Slowly add in your veggie stock, whisking to get all the awesome bits of flour off the bottom of your soup pot. This will thicken your sexy soup.
- Add your broccoli and cover. Cook for 10-15 minutes.
- While your soup is cooking, in your blender or food processor, process/blend the cauliflower with coconut milk until creamy. And it will be creamy.
- Pour slowly into your soup pot and stir to combine.
- Add in your cheese chunks!
- Stir. Season. Serve.
Just don’t forget the garlic bread 😉
Peace, love and NO Beef!