I’m on week two of my vegan challenge and I was CRAVING something creamy, comforting and delicious. I simply adore my cookbook by Chloe Coscarelli, Chloe’s Kitchen and have had a post-it on the page with Avocado Pesto for over a month now. I decided, that I just HAD to make it. No more excuses! To my surprise? This was probably the most simple and delicious pesto I have ever made.
Okay enough fooling around, here is the best pesto you’ll ever make:
What you need:
- 1 pound linguine (or spaghetti- I don’t use white flour pasta, I opt for spinach, brown rice, or whole grain)
- 1 bunch fresh basil, reserve some leaves for garnish
- ½ cup pine nuts (I left this out, but that’s you’re decision!)
- 2 avocados, pitted and peeled
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic (3 for pesto, 1 for sauteing baby broccoli & tomatoes)
- ½ cup olive oil (save an extra 2 tablespoons for sauteing)
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes or sliced sun-dried tomatoes (optional)
- 1 bunch baby broccoli or adult broccoli, chopped (whatever you can find)
How to make it:
1. Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions. Drain and set aside. (Cook to AL DENTE- leave a little bite to it. You don’t want to over cook the pasta.)
2. Meanwhile, make the pesto by combining basil, pine nuts, avocados, lemon juice, garlic, and oil in a food processor. Process until smooth. Season generously with salt and pepper.
3. In saute pan, add olive oil and 1 clove of chopped garlic. Let the oil get fragrant and add broccoli. Saute a couple of minutes before adding the tomatoes. Turn off heat.
4. Toss pasta with pesto and broccoli and tomatoes. Divide pasta among serving bowls and garnish each serving with a basil leaf.
[The finished product!]
The next time you crave pesto, opt for this vegan friendly and satisfying version!
Peace, love and no beef!