Ah Valentine’s Day, the day of chocolate…oh and love. I’ve been trying to perfect the ultimate vegan brownie that doesn’t take like sawdust, require more than one or two bowls and makes my honey ask for “more of those chewy amazing brownies.”
It’s hard to find a vegan brownie that doesn’t require a ton of ingredients and that leaves something to be desired. And I can’t seem to find a brand or company that makes them the way I like them, so lo and behold, these baby brownie bites were born. There’s no real elaborate story leading me to this recipe. Honestly, I woke up one day and decided it was time to make a vegan brownie that didn’t taste like crap and didn’t make me feel like crap. I believe indulgence should be full of pleasure and without any guilt or ill feeling the next day. All love baby 😉
What’s so good about these?
- No frills no fuss
- You can whip these babies up in 20-30 minutes
- It’s vegan AND moist
- There’s flaky sea salt and that makes it EVEN more amazeballs
- Sweetener is at an all time low (and you don’t really even need it, the chocolate does the work)
- And dark chocolate. Need I say more?!
Okay, let’s get these brownies into your oven.
Fudgey Vegan Brownie Bites
Makes 12 bites
Total time: 25-30 minutes (ish)
What You Need:
- 1 cup almonds, ground into a meal like texture
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour or sprouted spelt flour
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips, divided (1/4 cup reserved for melting)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond or coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons chia or flax seeds
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened unsalted almond butter
- 2 tablespoons grade b maple syrup (or brown sugar or raw sugar)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder or cocoa powder
- Optional: 1 teaspoon espresso powder and 1/2 teaspoon maca for superfood power (HONESTLY ADD ESPRESSO. CHOCOLATE + ESPRESSO = HEAVEN)
- Garnish: flakey sea salt
How You Make It:
- Preheat your sexy oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a muffin tin by buttering or coconut oiling it. Set aside and wait for chocolate heaven.
- Combine ground almonds, flour, cacao, baking power, baking soda and salt to a bowl. Whisk together and set aside.
- In your measuring cup (while you’re measuring your almond or coconut milk), whisk in your chia or flax. Set aside. Let thicken.
- So now the fun part, melt 1/4 cup of your dark chocolate chips in a glass bowl over a double boiler (this is about a cup or two of water, brought to a simmer in a pot and you place the glass bowl with your chocolate over the pot and melt it into a lusicious and glorious ooey gooey-ness).
- Add your chia “egg,” coconut oil, vanilla, almond butter and maple syrup to your melted chocolate. Whisk until evenly incorporated. If it is lumpy, this is OKAY!
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Mix to combine.
- Scoop about 1 1/2 tablespoons worth of brownie batter into your prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes. Cook longer if you prefer a crunchy brownie.
- Cool for 10 minutes. Garnish with flakey salt.
Make a batch of these before your honey comes home. Let them walk into the aroma of orgasmic brownies and watch the magic happen. Oh and if you’re tryna get fancy, whip out some chocolate hazelnut butter (not Nutella, check out Justin’s, it’s delicious).
You know you wanna 😉
Peace, love and mo’ brownies,