I know, I know. I did a vegan version of this soup nearly 2 years ago today. But this soup is just SO DAMN good and I needed to really make this a creamy chowda. And lately many of my soups have involved a LOT of coconut milk and I think I need to play around with some different creamy additions. This recipe combines cauliflower with a bit of heavy cream to balance out the heaviness of the cream and give it a little veggie boost.
But in all honesty if you’re not diggin’ the heavy cream, you can combine coconut cream and cauliflower or make it SUPER vegan and soak some raw cashews in warm water for about 4 hours, blend on high and add the cauliflower for a really nourishing creamy aspect.
If you want the full vegan version of this recipe, check out this recipe here.
Spicy Corn Chowda’
Total time: 30-40 minutes
What You Need:
- 4 large red or yellow potatoes, cubed (at least 1/2-1 inch cubes)
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- 1 onion, chopped (or 2 shallots)
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup yellow corn
- 1 cup white corn
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 head of cauliflower (about 1 1/2 cups), roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup canned jalapenos (you can use 2 fresh jalapenos, diced) – you know the one’s you can put on your nachos (yum)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes (optional)
How You Make It:
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot and add onions, garlic, thyme and oregano. Sauté until golden and fragrant.
- Add potatoes and stir to coat. Let cook over medium heat for a few minutes.
- Add stock and mix well. Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat and cover until potatoes are tender.
- Add jalapeños, corn. Stir and continue to cook for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- While soup is getting flavorful and awesome, blend cauliflower with heavy cream until abundantly luscious. And it will be.
- Whisk vigorously into soup and cook.
- Season generously with salt and pepper and chili flakes if you like.
- Serve immediately.
BTW THIS SOUP TASTES EVEN BETTER THE NEXT DAY!!!!!!!!! You will LOVE it. I promise.
Stay warm my darlin’s!
Peace, love and no beef!