If you can’t tell, I’m in a soup mood. After a long day at work, running errands or anything else that takes over the day, putting on a pot of soup is really the ultimate comfort. One thing I have missed about eating dairy is the creaminess cheeses, heavy cream and milk give to soups, mac and cheese and lasagna. I am lucky enough to have figured out a way to get the same creamy goodness of a non-vegan corn chowder and made it vegan! Say sayonara to the dairy version and say HELLO to this tasty soup that is sure to please your loved ones.
What You Need:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 5 small red potatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrot, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 3 cups of vegetable stock
- 3 cups of sweet corn (either fresh or frozen-whatever is available)
- 1 4 oz. can of finely diced jalapeños
- 1/2 cup of dairy free creamer (coconut creamer is THE best if you can find it)
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
How To Make it:
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot and add onions, garlic, celery and carrot. Sauté until golden. Add potatoes and stir to coat. Let cook over medium high heat for a few minutes.
2. Add stock and mix well. Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat and cover until potatoes are tender.
3. Add can of jalapeños, corn, dairy free creamer to the mixture. Stir and continue to cook for an additional 10-15 minutes.
4. Add salt and pepper to soup. Ladle into bowls and serve immediately with some sprouted grain toast or your favorite crackers!
Bon Appetit (oh and don’t forget no beef here)
One thought on “Vegan Corn Chowda’”