I don’t know about you, but a great cup of iced coffee-ahem cold brew- is DIVINE. I’m not a huge iced coffee drinker at any other time but from the months of June to September I am hooked. And with a coffee habit like that, that’s gonna cost some money. When you make it yourself you can really not just save that hole burning in your pocket, you infuse love in every single sip.
But this version is not a freshly brewed coffee that has ice added, it’s a long process (meaning, you have to wait at least 12 hours) but a lot simpler than you think. AND! You’ll have coffee ready for you in the morning without having to the work! That’s pretty awesome.
Why cold brew though?
Coffee contains many phytochemicals, antioxidants and other nutrients that research has proved to be beneficial for our beautiful bodies. But! Sometimes drinking coffee can cause acid reflux or other issues that are acid related. If you brew that coffee cold (ahem cold brew), you reduce the acidity in the coffee and enjoy a sweeter less bitter taste.
I upgrade my cold brew by whisking in full fat coconut cream and some grade b maple syrup to give it that elegant frothy feel a la your fave coffee shop. Now all you need are some really really good quality coffee beans and you will be good to go!
Kickass Cold Brew
Makes 2 cups of concentrate
Total Time: 10 mins (plus overnight in the fridge)
What You Need:
For the brew itself
- 1 3/4 cup coarsely ground coffee beans (get really good organic coffee, Irving Farm is a fave)
- 3 1/2 cups of cold water (add some ice cubes if you need)
- A french press
- Full fat coconut milk or almond milk
- Grade B Maple Syrup
How You Make It:
- Place the ground coffee in your French Press (the 32-ounce is ideal) and add water. Place plunger lid on top but do not press down.
- Keep coffee in the fridge overnight and push plunger strainer down when you’re ready to serve it.
- When you’re ready for your awesome cuppa joe, pour equal parts cold brew and coconut milk (or any other non-dairy milk), whisk until creamy. Stir in grade b maple syrup or desired sweetener. Add ice and slurp away.
How do you enjoy your favorite cuppa coffee?
Peace, love and no beef 😉