Is it just me or does the summer inspire you to eat more and more salad? For the last month or so Matt and I have been on a salad kick (I believe I said this to you before, right?). Instead of whipping up the normal massaged kale (yes, this is a norm in my home) or the quick chopped salad with romaine and tons of fresh veggies, I randomly felt inspired to change it up. If I’m going to eat light, I don’t want to eat the same damn thing every day. That’s so boring and says to your body, “eff you. Suffer.”
Pleasurable and filling salads? Yes please. Bring on more of them. I find that if you make this on a hot day, you probably won’t want to make falafel from scratch. But I highly recommend making it. My friends over at Minimalist Baker have THE BEST recipe for falafel that is moist and bursting with flavor. You can prep them in advance, freeze them and then pop them on the stove top before adding to your salad. And my absolute favorite part about this dish is it’s manly enough for Matt and he feels full after. So ladies, don’t hesitate to feed your man this salad for dinner tonight.
Fab + Filling Falafel Salad
Makes 4 heaping servings (great for leftovers)
Total Time: 15 minutes
What You Need:
- 6 pieces of cooked falafel, roughly chopped (make your own or grab from Trader Joe’s)
- 1 bunch of romaine lettuce, chopped
- 2 cups dark tuscan kale, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh feta cheese, crumbled (use your fingers, it’s fun too)
- 1/2 cup pita chips, crushed
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1 avocado cubed, be sure to remove the pit and skin first
- 1/2 pint heirloom cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- Tahini Dressing: juice of 1 lemon, 1 garlic clove minced, 2 tablespoons tahini, 4 tablespoons olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Whisk and set aside.
How You Make It:
- In a large bowl, add dressing to the bottom and mix all ingredients until combined and completely coated.
- Enjoy with your honey bunches and loved ones. This is sure to be a hit.
I hope you enjoy this salad for dinner this week.
Peace, love and no beef!