Spring is all about getting sexy for summer time. What better way to prepare your body for warmer weather than a light and delicious salad? I thoroughly enjoy eating a light yet filling salad. You can really jazz up a salad with a few change of ingredients, mixing up your greens and trying different dressings to tickle your taste buds.
Earlier this month, I visited Dr. Andrew Weil’s restaurant, True Foods in Newport Beach, CA. I am a huge fan of Dr. Weil and his anti-inflammatory diet. His recipes are mouthwatering and absolutely fabulous. Even my boyfriend who is not a big green juice drinker, tried a kale-aid (kale, apple, cucumber, lemon & ginger juice). He scarfed down the street tacos (check them out, small, fresh and absolutely divine for the carnivore you love). I ordered his kale crunch salad with avocado, grapefruit, kale, cabbage, watercress, almond and radish with a chili garlic dressing. I could NOT get over how incredible this salad was. I really have not ever tasted a salad this phenomenal. The moment I got home I HAD to recreate this salad.
For you lovers of kale, try this salad for your next meal. I guarantee you will be craving this salad.
What You Need:
For the Salad
- 1 bag or bunch of Tuscan kale (you can get a bag of organic Tuscan kale from Trader Joes), chopped
- 1 tbsp organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup of radishes, sliced
- 1 red grapefruit, sectioned (skin removed)
- 1 blood orange, sectioned (skin removed)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
For the Dressing
- 3 tbsp organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 scallion, chopped
- Juice of one lime
- 1 tbsp Sriracha (or more to taste)
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- Sea salt to taste
How You Make It:
- Add kale to a large bowl. Drizzle in one tablespoon of olive oil and begin to massage the olive oil into the kale with your hands. Continue to massage until the kale has wilted and slightly darkened (this will remove the bitterness of the kale and bring out the amazing nutrients in this perfect green).
- Toss in the rest of the ingredients for the salad. Let sit for a few minutes while you whip up the dressing.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ingredients for the dressing. Season with sea salt or a little extra sriracha if you like!
- Serve with a little extra slivered almonds for garnish.
Enjoy getting sexy for summer!
Peace, love and NO beef!