This has been the week of, “I need to just sleep for an entire week,” but I can’t really do that, not just yet.
Once my alarm goes off, I look at it, annoyed that it disturbed me. I have a pretty energized day, I sleep like a log but when I wake up…argh. I would much rather be swaddled in my fuzzy blankets.
It just seems like I’m extra sensitive in the cold weather. I’m not my normal bubbly self, I move more slowly, I need more sleep and I become a couch potato (but only in the evening, after working).
My desire to things is THERE but not fully THERE. This is the perfect opportunity to immerse myself in self-care and tenderness.
I don’t know about you, but one of the things I enjoy about the winter (which to be honest is not much) are the hot beverages. I LOOOOOOVE hot cocoa and hot frothy chai lattes. Everything hot hot hot. But let’s face it, most of the stuff we’re buying (I’m talking to you Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks) is not all it’s cracked up to be.
I want the comfort of the beverages but with shit that not only tastes good but makes me feel good. I’m all about feeling BLISSED out.
These are my three favorite super powered hot dranks for the sippin’. The hot cocoa and golden milk are PERFECT before going to bed!
In case you need convincing, I have the list of benefits for each sexy elixir right here 😉
Cardamom has pain-relieving, anti-inflammatory effects in addition to aiding in digestion and preventing gastrointestinal discomfort.
Pepper aids in increasing circulation, improving the immune system, healing respiratory issues and helps better absorb nutrients.
Cinnamon. According to the yogi this tea is named after, Yogi Bhajan shares that cinnamon is one of the most stimulating, heating spices there is. It promotes agni, the fire element, which enhances vitality. It helps digestion and the whole metabolism. And come on, it SMELLS SO GOOD!
Cloves balance the air element, which relates to the nervous system. It’s great for healthy digestion while also acting as a natural aphrodisiac 😉
Ginger helps keeps the body warm, which is EVER SO IMPORTANT DURING THE WINTER! It fires up the digestive juices while soothing inflammation.
Turmeric offers many anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It’s a superfood in itself and a staple in all Indian homes (and those of you who are partial to curries). It relaxes the muscles and eases joint pain, and helps you drift into a nice deep sleep when paired with warm milk. Oh yes. You will sleep like a baby.
Mom’s Yogi Tea
Seriously, my mom is the QUEEN at making this. I fail to compare. I just have her make me a big batch but when I can’t get her to make me some, this is her basic recipe. She highly suggests that you add some black tea to tie the flavors together and give you a gentle energy boost that is comparable to coffee 😉
What You Need:
- 4-5 cinnamon sticks
- 4 cardamom pods
- 3 or 4 cloves
- 3 or 4 black peppercorns
- 4 slices of ginger
(Benefits: good for blood, immune system, keeping you warm, naturally energizing, good for your liver)
How you make it:
- Bring water to a boil. Add all ingredients and simmer for one hour. For best results allow to cool several hours or overnight.
- When you’re ready to make yourself some, strain. Measure out 1 cup, add your favorite milk and bring to a boil. Turn off heat and add tea bag of black tea to steep, if ya dig it. Sweeten if desired with raw honey. This is stimulating, so do keep this in mind if you decide to drink before bed (this is for your sultry morning routine). YAAAS!
Spicy Hot Cocoa
In all honestly, I could drink this all day every day. But especially during those serious hot cocoa cravings, this right here is some good shit.
What you need:
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao (not cocoa powder, cacao, the good stuff)
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grade b maple syrup or raw honey
- 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
How you make it:
- Bring your almond and coconut milk to a gentle simmer.
- Whisk in your cacao and spices.
- Let simmer for about 4 minutes until gently frothy.
- Add honey if ya like, but you probably don’t need it. It’s luscious on it’s own 😉
Glowing Golden Milk (Haldi Doodh- yes that’s Hindi)
This is the holy grail of dranks. There’s a ton of woo woo about this, how it is the “new good shit.” This bev has been around since ancient Indian times and is the elixir of the gods and goddesses. Diggin’ a sexy glow? This is for you. Got some cramps? This is for you. Soreness from the gym? This is FOR YOU. It’s a save all.
What you need:
- 1-2 heaping tablespoons of pure turmeric (you can do fresh if you can find it, but the powder works just fine)
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 pinch of Himalayan pink salt
- 1 cup of almond milk or 1 cup of coconut milk
- 1/2 tablespoon of raw honey
How you make it:
- Bring your cup of milk to a boil (you are welcome to use dairy milk, this is what traditional Indian recipes call for and what my relatives do).
- Whisk in turmeric, ginger and honey.
- Lower heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Garnish with a pinch of pink salt (my family does NOT do this, but I like it).
- Sip. Feel sexy.
I hope you enjoy this JAM PACKED post 😉
Glow baby, glow!
Peace, love and NO BEEF!