Gasp! This is the second Indian recipe I’ve decided to share with all of you.
I am really excited. First, because I actually successfully made these for the FIRST time. Second, I just really love these so much and it brings back amazing memories from my childhood, dipping these yummy babies in loads of ketchup (forgive me, I didn’t know any better- though it still tastes delicious with or without it).
So, wipe the drool off your chin and get ready to enjoy one of the easiest Indian dishes EVER (and it’s gluten free).
What You Need:
1 1/3 cups chickpea/garbanzo/gram (also known as besan) flour
1 cup water
1 jalapeno, diced finely
1 cup cilantro, chopped
1 tomato, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, diced
1 inch fresh ginger, chopped
2 teaspoons sea salt
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 tablespoon of ghee/clarified butter (this isn’t necessarily vegan, but honestly it’s not going to kill you to use it!) **option to use canola oil**
How You Make it:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the besan/chickpea flour, salt, chili powder. Finely chop the cilantro, jalapeno and grated ginger and toss in. Slowly pour in the water removing any lumps that may have formed- use your hands!
- When you have a smooth mixture, let sit for at least half an hour or up to 2 hours.
- Once you’re ready to cook, toss in tomatoes. Stirring gently.
- Grab a tawa, cast iron skillet or frying pan. Heat on high and drizzle a small amount of ghee or canola oil. Reduce the heat to medium high.
- Using a ladle, pour gently onto the center of the pan. Gently move the mixture around to form a circle, hopefully as evenly as possible.
- Cook on one side until you see bubbles forming on the top (think, pancakes). Flip over and cook the other side until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve while hot with chutney, greek yogurt (or tzatziki), ketchup or however else you like your pancakes 🙂
Now, get yourself to the kitchen and start making these today! You will start craving these yummy savory pancakes RIGHT now.
Peace, love and NO Beef!