Happy New Year everyone! I am excited for a whole new year of blogging, eating, dancing, yoga-ing and more! I am thrilled to share that for Christmas my very thoughtful (and smart) boyfriend bought me a Vitamix. As a result, I will be in the kitchen even more than before experimenting with nut milks, smoothies, soups, nut butters, sorbets and more. I cannot wait to share these incredible recipes with you. Here’s to a healthier, happier and more delicious year!
Let’s get 2014 started with a very simple yet comforting soup. Upgrade your taco night with a soup even the meat eater in your life will love!
What You Need:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 2 ears fresh corn
- 1/2 cup green onion, chopped
- 3 tbsp ground cumin
- One 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 jalapeño, chopped
- 3 cups vegetable broth/stock
- 2 tbsp chia seeds (this helps thicken the broth)
- 1-2 cans black beans (or beans of choice)
- salt & pepper & crushed red chili pepper, to taste
- Bag of your favorite tortilla chips (I’m a fan of blue corn tortilla chips)
How to Make it:
1. In a large pot over medium to low heat, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil for 5 minutes (or until translucent).
2. Chop the peppers, zucchini, green onion, and remove corn from cob (use a knife and slice off the cob down the four corners). Add the veggies to the pot and sauté for an additional 5-10 minutes.
3. Add crushed tomatoes, cumin, broth, beans and chia seeds. Stir well and season with salt and pepper. Simmer on low-medium heat for 25-30 minutes.
4. After the soup simmers, ladle into bowls, and top with crushed tortilla chips and your favorite toppings (avocado, vegan cheese, more green onions). Serve immediately and enjoy!
Peace, love and no beef y’all!
2 thoughts on “Vegan Tortilla Soup”