I don’t know about you but I’m obsessed with pumpkin. Pumpkin cookies, pumpkin lattes, pumpkin soup, pumpkin candles. I know…crazy. My obsession is real. I have had a craving for pumpkin spice muffins (not that I have ever had one…aside from the one from the farmers market that I had a couple weeks ago, thank you to Las Delicias). I wanted something that was sweet, healthy and a cinch to make.
Check out my adapted version of this recipe from Peta.org. I made it gluten free and excluded most of the sugar for the sake of my stomach and health.
What you need:
2 cups brown rice flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. allspice
1 1/4 cups puréed pumpkin (or 1 can)
1/2 cup nondairy milk (I use almond milk)
1/3 cup coconut oil
5 Tbsp maple syrup
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
How to make it:
1. Preheat oven to 375°F and lightly grease a muffin pan. In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, nondairy milk, oil, and molasses or maple syrup. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix.
3. Spoon the batter into the muffin pan, filling each cup to the top.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
4. Remove muffins from the oven. When they’ve cooled to room temperature, frost them (optional) and devour!
Variation: Add a cup of chopped nuts, dried fruit, or vegan chocolate chips to the batter.
Makes 12 muffins
Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
What you need:
1/4 cup vegan margarine, softened
1/4 cup vegan cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
How you make it:
1. Place the vegan margarine and cream cheese into a bowl and combine with a handheld mixer.
2. Slowly add the sugar in 1/2-cup batches. When the mixture is smooth and creamy, add the vanilla.
3. Keep the frosting tightly covered and refrigerated until ready to use.
Enjoy my pumpkin spice lovers!
Peace, love and no beef (just more pumpkin),