I love breakfast foods but I don’t have a HUGE desire to change things up all the time. I could probably eat one of two things every day for breakfast and be perfectly okay with that. Avocado toast and granola with yogurt. I used to be big on oatmeal but that really changed after a few years of eating that almost everyday (as an alternative to cereal).
I’m at a point where if I’m not hungry after drinking a hot cup of chai with almond milk or some type of crazy a** elixir I make in the morning, I just could go without breakfast altogether. Then there are mornings where I wake up famished wondering if I ran out of my millet bread for avocado toast or if I should pop open a new bag of granola.
I’ve had a pretty serious matcha obsession since giving up coffee in January and I’m always looking for new ways to make it even better besides whizzing it with almond milk, butter, and coconut oil. I mean, it’s a pretty badass way to consume it and it’s rather flawless. If it’s not broke don’t fix it 😉 But a wave of inspiration led me to give this recipe a try.
Matcha, is actually powdered green tea (the green tea leaves are dried then ground into a sexy powder). This super powered powder is loaded with L-Theanine, an amino acid that helps balance the caffeine content. L-Theanine is known to provide a sense of calm (I can dig that). It’s a great source of antioxidants, improve focuses and concentration while also supporting sexy skin.
When combined with chia (a superpowered superfood all by its bad self) you get a happy, healthy dose of Omega 3’s, high fiber, protein and is a natural mood booster (hello glow) throughout your cycle (if you’re a lady). I’m all about them good mood foods and the combination of calm and clear, matcha with mood-boosting chia is a match made in breakfast heaven.
The best part of this recipe is you can make it overnight and just grab and go in the morning. Well, I like to add a few things as toppings to make it a little more exciting 😉
Overnight Super Matcha Chia Pudding
Total time: 1-8 hours (the longer you leave it the better)
Serves 1 hungry human
What you need:
- 1 heaping teaspoon of matcha powder
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 1 cup coconut milk (full fat)
- 1/2 cup almond/macadamia/rice/soy/cashew milk (your choice)
- For sweetness: 1 teaspoon coconut nectar or 1 teaspoon of grade B maple syrup
- Optional add-ins: maca, moringa powder (for an added green boost), coconut oil (best if warmed up and added in after being refrigerated)
- Toppings: mixed berries, goji berries, coconut flakes, pepitas (the options are truly endless)
How you make it:
- Combine coconut milk and other nut milk of choice with matcha (and sweetener/add in’s) in a blender. Blend until incorporated and frothy.
- Whisk chia into your mixture and place in a container. Pop in your fridge and let the mixture get acquainted overnight.
- Before you indulge, stir your superpowered chia pudding and add a little more nut milk or coconut milk to achieve your desired texture. The sweet spot for me seems to be about 2-4 tablespoons 😉
- Top with a few of your favorite things and feel glorious and full.
How do you take your matcha?
Peace, love and NO Beef!