My mom and I have been on a super smoothie kick (as you can probably guess through my obvious title). We’ve hunted for recipes, created random concoctions of various fruits, protein powder and chia and flax seeds. I love starting my day with a smoothie. Smoothies are incredibly versatile and 100% vegetarian and vegan friendly! Customizing your smoothie and experimenting not only makes it fun, it’s a healthy way to get your fruits, veggies and essential micronutrients (vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals).
I wanted to share with you a recipe I concocted yesterday to jump start my metabolism and boost my energy. I hope you grab your blender and create something delish!
What you need:
1 cup of frozen or fresh raspberries (or a handful)
1 cup of frozen or fresh blueberries (or a handful)
5 strawberries (fresh or frozen)
1 tablespoon of chia seeds
1 tablespoon of flax seeds
1 cup of coconut milk (unsweetened & not from a can!)
1 level scoop of protein powder (I love Spiru-tein Vanilla Tri-Part Vanilla Protein Powder)
(If you’re not using frozen fruit add some ice!)
How to make it:
1. Combine ingredients in a blender. Blend until all incorporated and a desired consistency is achieved.
What’s so good about this smoothie?
1. Strawberries are jam packed with vitamin C, fiber, antioxidants and are a great source of manganese and potassium.
2. Blueberries are also great for you with similar benefits as strawberries such as high in fiber, low-calorie and helps shed belly fat!
3. Raspberries help you maintain a healthy weight and also have phenomenal anti-aging and cancer fighting antioxidants. Can’t beat that!
4. Bananas are high in fiber and potassium (great post-workout food or snack if you’re on the go!)
5. Need a boost in your Omega 3’s? Chia Seeds and Flax are the way to get it. I combined the two for a double whammy dose of this mood boosting nutrient.
6. Coconut milk has healthy fats which can actually help you lose fat. Who knew right? Not only is it delicious, it’s amazing for your health.
Note: If you don’t have fresh fruit readily available how about some frozen fruit? You can skip out on the ice and have a great tasting smoothie that’s cold and refreshing.
Now if the fruit and yummy nutrient packed goodies I put in this smoothie doesn’t convince you, I hope once you make it the taste will win you over. It’s all about creating something that tastes good to you.
If you’re wondering what to make for breakfast today or any other day in the future, grab your blender and give this a try!
Peace, love and smoothie heaven (er…no beef I mean),