An upgrade to your favorite nut butter cup jam packed with superfoods to make you feel extra sexy and indulgent with every bite.
Happy Summer friends! I’m probably alone in my love for the heat, but I really do love the summer. Give me the 100 degree day with a slight breeze, even if it’s humid, I’m cool as a cucumber. I know, I’m a weirdo. I also really thrive on the awesome produce in season right now. Blueberries, black raspberries, cucumbers, cherries, snap peas, broccoli, (want to know more click here) I can go on and on. It’s so freakin’ awesome that nature brings all this deliciousness forth and miraculously cools us down. Yup, everything that comes into season has a purpose. Winter has heartier veggies and fruits that warm us up while summer has lighter, refreshing veggies and fruits to cool us down and flush the system from the winter sludge. Hello to feeling sexy in the summer and glowing in and out.
Now, I’m a fan of sucking down smoothies and eating cooling salads but I’m really not big on doing too much with dessert (I’ll do a yogified “ice cream” on here soon) especially when it’s hot. But my weird self decided making nut butter cups on a hot a** day was a brilliant idea. I mean, I keep them in the fridge so they’re nice and cold with a little chew action going on.
I mean, come on, what’s not to love?! I made these babies a little more interesting by turning the insides green! Yes! I added matcha to the coconut butter that just gave it a slight earthiness that my husband didn’t even notice. I think he actually ate way more than I did! I def snuck in some collagen, MCT oil and chaga mushroom to the melted chocolate to enhance the benefits of this good for you dessert (or ahem treat).
These superpowered cups are:
- finger licking good (sorry KFC)
- a natural aphrodisiac (thank you to the raw cacao)
- loaded with healthy fats (helloooo MCT oil and coconut butter)
- great for your hair, skin, nails and gut health (thanks to the collagen)
- awesome for balancing those PMS-y moments (thank you chaga + cacao)
- just pretty dang good so go make them…like…now!
Superfood Chocolate Coconut Butter Cups
Makes 12 cups
Total time: 10-45 minutes (includes freezer time)
What you need:
- 1/3 cup MCT oil or coconut oil plus a tablespoon or two extra (depending on how thick you like your chocolate)
- 1/3 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon chaga (check out Four Sigmatic, they’re the bomb)
- 1 scoop collagen (optional-Further Food collagen is what I used)
- 1/2 cup coconut butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of matcha powder
- OPTIONAL: you can make this with crunchy peanut or almond butter as well
How you make it:
- Prepare a muffin tin with cupcake liners. Note: Feel free to make in a mini-cupcake tin for super cute cups.
- Heat 1 cup of water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and place a bowl above the heat. Add MCT or coconut oil to the bowl with cacao and chocolate chips. Whisk gently until melted and shut the heat.
- Slowly add in chaga and collagen to the warmed chocolate while whisking to ensure you get out any lumps. Set aside momentarily.
- Start to assemble your superfood cups by adding slightly less than a tablespoon of the chocolate mixture to your lined tin. Note: you may need to make a little more chocolate for the top layer but eyeball it to the thickness you prefer!
- Place in the freezer for at least 5 minutes until the bottom layer is firm.
- While the chocolate is in the freezer, melt coconut butter over low heat in a pan. Be careful not to overheat, it will clump. Once melted stir in your matcha and be sure to get out any potential lumps.
- Remove your chocolate from the freezer, spoon in a half tablespoon of your coconut butter mixture to each cup. Top with an additional tablespoon (or less) of the melted chocolate.
- Place your muffin tin back in the freezer for a minimum of 15 minutes.
- Remove from the freezer, nosh and enjoy.
These cups last at least 5-7 days (or less if you have someone besides yourself eating them) in an airtight container in the fridge. They def taste best after sitting out of the freezer or fridge for a minute or two. I would rather not hurt my teeth enjoying something so delicious.
Peace, love and NO beef!